Friday, January 3, 2014

Elphie, Phil and Cindy Lou

There is a vet clinic in the area called Wolf River Vet Clinic.  They are an amazing vet clinic and really reasonable.  They have helped me several times.  Sammy was seen there and had his dental surgery there.  They have helped me when I have asked for opinions regarding my cats.  To sum up, they are great.  They have an adoption program called S.A.F.E.  I forget what it stands for but they are the 'humane society' of that area.  On occasion, the rescue I volunteer for takes their cats to decrease the load.

I went there to pick up 3 cats.  They were already in the crates so I brought them home.  Except for Cindy Lou.  She went to the adoption center and was adopted right away by a lady named Cindy Lou.  How fun is that?  So, I brought home 2 cats.  I got them here and unloaded them.  They settled in just fine.  I named the male cat Phil and the female Elphaba.  Elphie for short.  This was the same year I went to see Wicked and thought I would name a cat after one of the leads.  I was watching Elphie walk and noticed several things about her that were wrong.  Her ears were weird.  One was missing and the other one was damaged pretty bad.  Turns out she was a stray and her ears were frost bitten.  She walked funny.  She didn't have 'knee caps' on her back legs.  Elphie had about 8 teeth total.  Nothing happened to them.  They just weren't there.  Elphie was front declawed but not spayed.  That was so odd to me.  The next week I took her back to wolf river for an exam.  She was labeled "inbred".

Phil was a handsome gray tabby.  He was also Bella's first (and only) boyfriend.  Those 2 would run and play and jump and just be happy to be together.  I should mention that I do have a foster room and by this time, they had been here for well over a month.  Bella gets curious and likes to meet our new friends.

Elphie liked to sleep on the couch arm and watch everyone.  She was THE SWEETEST cat I have known.  A few more months went by and she was spayed and her ears were taken care of (both had to be amputated).  She was a delight to have around. In fact, so much, I told everyone she was staying here until she was adopted.  ...and if she was never adopted, she would have a home.

Phil had a meet and greet and then he was going to stay at the adoption center. He was adopted shortly after that and my poor Bella had to say goodbye.   I was asked to bring Elphie along the day I brought Phil back so that she could be checked over... and oh by the way.. there are people here to see her.

This really cute family.. mom, dad, and 2 girls, were there to meet my Elphaba.  They loved her right away.  What's not to love.  She's amazing.  They wanted to take her home.  I was happy and sad.  I knew she deserved better than my house but I didn't want to let her go.  A week or so passed and it was time.  I brushed her up real nice and brought her to the center where her family was waiting for her.  I got them an "it's a girl" bag and put some of her favorites in it.  I kept telling myself that this was the best thing for her and how loved and cherished she would be.  They took her out of my crate and put her in theirs.  Then the mom told me how loved she was going to be and how thankful she was to me for giving her such a great, loving home for all of those months.  What happened next I wasn't prepared for.  These cute little girls both handed me a piece of paper.  I get choked up thinking about this.  I looked down at the papers and started to cry.




The girls made me pictures thanking me for their new cat.  To this day, I still have them hanging on my fridge to remind me the reason why I foster, why I must let go, and why it's so important to love them while they are here.  I still get to see Elphie.  I cat sit for her when her family goes on vacation.  She is well loved! ..and she still has her name :)  


                                   



1 comment:

  1. Oh that one got me! Tears and everything. I love the stories and the photos. Keep them coming, and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete